Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Guest Spot: Nigel Pascoe reads "This England"




I am asking my friends to contribute to this blog.  First of these is Nigel Pascoe reading "This England" by Shakespeare from Richard II. Nigel, as you will hear, has a wonderful reading voice. He says  "Here is an extract from the most patriotic speech in the English language put by Shakespeare into the mouth of the aged John of Gaunt."

The photos in the video are of the New Forest -  the part of this "blessed plot" that Nigel and I are lucky enough to live in.  They were taken by my wife, Jeanie and me.

And talking about ebooks (which we weren't but I am trying to push the three World War I war books by my father soon to be published by Jeanie and me - click on the ebooks tab at the top of the page) ... anyway Nigel has got some of the plays he has written available as ebooks on the Kindle store click here to go and look.  Be sure to purchase a copy or two of Nigel's plays.

PS: Poetic question of the day.  Does poetry work best when it is read aloud? Personally, I don't think so. But some poems seem to beg for a live reading.  Not enough of the ones I wite or so I have been thinking lately.

PPS2:  There's a new nude up on Jeanie's blog.  A nice water colour a bit like Gaugin.  Click here to see it. 

PPS:
And here are the words that Nigel reads: For the context click here

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

No comments:

Post a Comment